Monday, March 30, 2009

Working Out - the Newest Health Threat

March 24
Is Working Out the Newest Health Threat?
Okay. After having read this article and all the responses to it, I have a few things to say regarding personal trainers and the fitness industry. First of all, I am a strength training teacher and a personal fitness trainer who has been in the profession for 15 years, and have been lifting for nearly 25 years and I played college and minor league pro football. I have a BS in Health & Exercise Science, an MS in Kinesiology, and a PhD in Health & Human Performance. I am CSCS, ACSM, CHES, and NFPT certified. I have also been a strength coach, an athletic trainer, and a first aid instructor as well, having those certifications.
Now, with that said, I can tell you why I teach full time and train part time: it's due to the lack of federal regualtion regarding the industry. I learned early on in the mid '90's at places like Bally's that there are people out there in the gyms and clubs who call themselves "trainers", but they aren't even certified, let alone qualified. I had as much schooling, as many certifications, and even more knowledge than the guy who hired me to train. After dealing with all the cutthroat backstabbing just to make a buck, plus seeing idiots who couldn't even teach a client how to do a push up correctly, I decided I'd rather make some real money teaching bratty kids who have no respect than to deal with the idiocracies of the fitness profession full time. Now, after stints in a couple of schools running weight programs after school, I decided to get back into the private sector. Yet, nearly 10 years later, at places like Gold's, the same issues still exist regarding the hiring and training of fitness professionals (a term I use loosely). I finally got tired of the big chain gyms and now train at a smaller, yet more reputable fitness center where everyone is certified and qualified.
Here is my advice to those who wish to train: talk to the trainer, ask him what his degrees, certifications, qualifications, and experiences are. The object is to help the client achieve their fitness goals, not to punish them into submission. All trainers should be degreed, certified, have liability insurance, and a current CPR card. Watch the trainer in action and see if you like what he does for his clients. Even when you get well into your session and the trainer is pushing to progress you, if you truly don't feel you can do something, ask to do a variation that you can accomplish. If they are smart and good at what they do, they will find a way to train you well and that will make you want to come back for more.
12:50 PM Add a comment Permalink View trackbacks (0) Blog it Health and wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment